I’m running a Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space game this weekend at Gamers’ Reunion, and the basic plot is a bunch of former companions, recruited by Susan, rescue the Doctor. If you were playing this game, who would you want to play?
[BTW, I decided on this plot before season 6 began to air, so it’s just coincidence that the plots have some similarity.]
Now, there are actually some more-specific questions here. I started out specifically choosing characters that have had some sort of timey-wimey history (beyond just travelling in the Tardis) to use as my excuse for why these characters are the ones Susan was able to recruit. But there are other fun characters that I don’t have that justification for, so maybe I’ll drop that and just figure it’s Doctor Who–it doesn’t matter.
Also, I’m avoiding the main recent companions, as well as a few characters because they annoy me so I don’t want someone to play them well: Rose, Mel, Tegan, Donna, Amy Pond, Martha, Captain Jack, Lady Christina de Souza, and Dr. River Song. I’m also torn between focusing specifically on underappreciated and/or disliked companions, and including everyone’s favorites, because, well, they’re everyone’s favorites. In particular, I can’t decide about Sarah Jane–prior to this week, I probably would’ve not included her as “too trendy”, but with Lis Sladen’s death, now I’m sorta feeling nostalgic. Also, as I’m writing this, I’m wondering if I should drop my objection to Mel, since she’s a perfect candidate: relatively underdevolped character, and she never met the Doctor due to timey-wimeyness.
Anyway, you can suggest any character you’d like, but these are the ones I’ve been statting up, and their timey-wimey justification, if there is one:
- Ace (shortly post-Survival): whisked through time and space by Fenric before meeting the Doctor
- Adelaide Brooke (between entering her house and killing herself): Doctor saves her when she should’ve died so she kills herself anyway to avoid a paradox
- Adric (in the last microseconds before his death): died aboard a time-shifting ship as it hit the Earth c. 65Mybp
- Auton Rory: may or may not still exist after the Doctor’s Amy-enabled reset of the universe
- Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart (older, post-Mawdryn Undead): brought into Omega’s antimatter universe that existed only in his mind, meets himself in the near future, transported by time scoop to the Death Zone
- Grace Holloway: died and was resurrected by resetting time with the Eye of Harmony
- Jamie McCrimmon: taken into the imaginary Land of Fiction, memory erased by Time Lords, traveled with Doctor Two for CIA
- Jo Grant: brought into Omega’s antimatter universe that existed only in his mind
- Kathy Nightingale: all future possibilities removed by a weeping angel
- Luke Smith: temporarily erased from history by the Trickster
- Melanie Bush: never actually met the Doctor, due to out-of-order witness testimony during Trial of a Time Lord
- Mickey Smith (post-Stolen Earth): on Earth when it’s stolen
- Sabalom Glitz: pulled out of time for Trial of a Time Lord
- Sara Kingdom (snatched from the jaws of the time destructor): aged to death by time destructor
- Sarah Jane Smith (post-Hand of Fear, pre-School Reunion): temporarily erased from history by the Trickster, transported by time scoop to the Death Zone
- Sergeant Benton: brought into Omega’s antimatter universe that existed only in his mind
- Wilfred Mott: on Earth when it’s stolen
- Zoe Heriot: taken into the imaginary Land of Fiction, memory erased by time lords
And then here are the companions that I have no particular reason to pick, other than liking them:
- Astrid Peth
- Madame de Pompadour
- Novice Hame
- Professor Edward Travers
But, like I said, I’m wondering about Sarah Jane in particular, and I’ll take any suggestion for other characters with whatever justification—or none at all. It is Doctor Who, after all.
Oh, I’m really tempted to have both early Mickey and late Mickey—if there’s any character that having two versions of would be fun, I think that’s the one.
So, fire away! Tell me who I should have available as PCs.